Are you looking to enhance the aesthetics of your living room? Then you might want to consider adding a jhoomar, a traditional Indian chandelier. Jhoomar, also called jhumar or jhumka, is a decorative lighting fixture that adds elegance and charm to the room. It is a popular choice for Indian homes and is now gaining popularity in other parts of the world too. In this article, we will discuss what a jhoomar is, its history, types, and how you can incorporate it into your living room decor.
What is a Jhoomar?
A jhoomar is a type of chandelier that is traditionally used in Indian homes. It is a hanging light fixture that is usually made of brass, copper or other metals. It is adorned with decorative crystals, glass beads, or other embellishments that reflect light and create a sparkly effect. Jhoomars come in various sizes and designs, from small ones that can fit in compact spaces to large ones that hang from the ceiling and make a bold statement.
History of Jhoomars
Jhoomars have been a part of Indian culture for centuries. They were first introduced during the Mughal era when the rulers brought Persian art and culture to India. The Mughals were known for their love for luxury and opulence and would adorn their palaces and homes with extravagant chandeliers. Over time, the tradition of using jhoomars spread across India and became a symbol of elegance and aristocracy.
Types of Jhoomars
There are various types of jhoomars available in the market. Some of the popular ones are:
1. Traditional Jhoomar: These are the classic designs that have been in use for generations. They usually have intricate patterns and are adorned with crystals, pearls, or other gems.
2. Contemporary Jhoomar: These are modern designs that are sleek and minimalistic. They are suitable for contemporary homes that have a minimalist decor.
3. Antique Jhoomar: These are antique pieces that have been restored or recreated to retain their original charm. They are suitable for homes with a vintage decor.
How to Incorporate Jhoomar in Your Living Room Decor
Adding a jhoomar can instantly elevate the look of your living room. Here are some tips on how you can incorporate a jhoomar into your living room decor:
1. Choose the right size: The size of your jhoomar should depend on the size of your living room. If you have a small space, go for a smaller jhoomar that can fit in seamlessly. If you have a large space, you can go for a bigger, bolder one that can create a statement.
2. Placement: The placement of your jhoomar is crucial. It should be hung at the center of the room or the seating area to create a focal point. Make sure it is not too high or too low and does not obstruct the view or movement.
3. Coordinate with decor: Your jhoomar should complement your living room decor. If you have a vibrant, colorful decor, go for a jhoomar that has colorful crystals or beads. If you have a neutral decor, go for a jhoomar that has a metallic finish.